New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment
This is your chance to have your say on the sporting moment that excited you the most in 2018. The winner of the Favourite Sporting Moment of the Year will be announced at the 56th ISPS Handa Halberg Awards, televised live on SKY SPORT on Thursday 21 February 2019.
The full list of New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment of the Year finalists are:
- Nico Porteous and Zoi Sadowski-Synnott medaling at the Olympic Winter Games within two hours of each other (Pyeongchang)
- David Liti breaking a Commonwealth record and winning gold in the men’s 105kg+ weightlifting division at the Commonwealth Games (Gold Coast)
- Kelly Brazier scoring a long range solo try in extra time to secure gold for the Black Ferns Sevens against Australia at the Commonwealth Games (Gold Coast)
- Vantage Black Sticks Women penalty shootout over Olympic champions England in semifinal at the Commonwealth Games (Gold Coast)
- Amelia Kerr blasting a record breaking 232 not out against Ireland for the White Ferns, achieving the highest score in women’s ODIs (Dublin)
- Roger Tuivasa-Sheck receiving an impromptu haka after winning the Dally M Player of the Year (Sydney)
- Auckland Rugby winning the Mitre 10 Cup Premiership final after a dramatic finish in extra time against Canterbury (Auckland)
- Black Caps winning the first test against Pakistan by four runs (Abu Dhabi)
- Anna Leat’s successful penalty shootout against Japan, leading New Zealand into the semifinal of the Fifa Under-17 Women's World Cup (New Zealand vs Japan, Uruguay)
How to vote:
Voting is now open for the Sporting Moment of the Year award. You can vote once a day from now until 9.00pm on Thursday 21 February 2019, vote either online or by text.
Vote at www.sportingmoments.co.nz
Text your Sporting Moment’s unique code to 556 (standard txt charges apply):
- Txt SM1 to 556to vote for Nico Porteous and Zoi Sadowski-Synnott
- Txt SM2 to 556to vote for David Liti
- Txt SM3 to 556 to vote for Kelly Brazier
- Txt SM4 to 556 to vote for Vantage Black Sticks Womens Team
- Txt SM5 to 556 to vote for Amelia Kerr
- Txt SM6 to 556 to vote for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
- Txt SM7 to 556 to vote for Auckland Rugby
- Txt SM8 to 556 to vote for Black Caps
- Txt SM9 to 556 to vote for Anna Leat
Everyone who votes for the Sporting Moment by 4 February 2019 goes in the draw to win a trip for two including flights and accommodation to the 56th ISPS Handa Halberg Awards at Spark Arena, Auckland on Thursday 21 February 2019. Visit www.sportingmoments.co.nz to read the competition terms & conditions.
The Awards, held annually since 1963, are the brainchild of Olympic athletics champion Sir Murray Halberg (ONZ) to honour sporting excellence and as a major fundraiser for the Halberg Foundation – his charity which aims to enhance the lives of physically disabled young New Zealanders by enabling them to participate in sport and recreation.
The core work of Halberg Foundation includes a team of Advisers around the country who connect physically disabled young people to sport and recreation opportunities. The Halberg Advisers also deliver an inclusion training course on adapting physical activity and assist clubs, schools and organisations to provide inclusive events and programmes. The Foundation also hosts the Halberg Games – an annual national three-day sports competition for physically disabled young people. Text ‘halberg’ to 4499 to make an instant $3 donation to the Halberg Foundation.