Sky Sport Emerging Talent Award
The Sky Sport Emerging Talent Award is designed to identify and assist a young athlete in their quest to become an Olympic, Paralympic and/or World Champion, and hopefully one day win the supreme Halberg Award.
General eligibility and criteria
- Only sporting achievements within the dates of 1 December 2019 to 30 November 2021 are eligible.
- Nominations close on 1 December 2021 at 8pm.
- Sporting achievements in New Zealand and overseas are eligible.
- Any entries made after 1 December 2021 will not be accepted.
- Any achievements that start in November 2021 but finish in December 2021 will be eligible for the 60th ISPS Handa Halberg Awards only.
- All nominations will be reviewed by HPSNZ and the Nominations Board for approval to ensure the eligibility criteria has been met before submitting for judging.
Sky Sport Emerging Talent
- Must be a New Zealand Citizen, or hold a Resident or Permanent Resident Visa
- Must be an individual athlete or athlete in a team
- Must be under 20 years of age as of 1st December 2020 (this encompasses the two year period)
- Must not have achieved success at elite international level. Success at an elite international level is defined as having medaled at the Olympic Games, Paralympic Games or Senior World Championships (or that sports equivalent competition). Dispensation can be sought in special circumstances e.g. a non- playing reserve
- Nominee personal statement needs to include their aspirations as an athlete and their qualities as a person, including but not limited to:
- What their sporting goals are
- What they are doing to achieve their aspirations and/or goals
- How they have shown their commitment to the sport
Regarding the criteria, the Emerging Talent Voting Academy consider:
- Past performance and achievement, including;
- Significance of the athletes highest level performance or achievement
- Significance of the competition or event where the highest level performance was achieved
- Other performances or achievements of significance
- Global nature of the sport
- Past winners of the Award are ineligible