The ISPS Handa Halberg Awards are decided by an independent Voting Academy comprised of media representatives, athletes and coaches.
Members of the 56th ISPS Handa Halberg Awards Voting Academy are:
Alison Shanks, Andrew Mulligan, Andy Hay, Belinda Colling, Ben Lucas, Dana Johannsen, Dave Leggat, Duane Kale, Eddie Kohlhase, Dr Farah Palmer, Fred Woodcock, Graeme Crosby, Grant Sharman, Jayne Kiely, Jayne Craike, Jenny May-Clarkson, Kevin Norquay, Lesley Murdoch, Marc Hinton, Mark Richardson, Michael Jones, Mike Stanley, Phil Tataurangi, Rikki Swannell, Ron Cheatley, Sam Ackerman, Susie Simcock, Te Arahi Maipi, Tiffiney Perry.
The Voting Academy vote by secret ballot to determine finalists and winners for the Sportsman, Sportswoman, Para Athlete/Team, Team and Coach of the Year categories.
From the Sportsman, Sportswoman, Para Athlete/Team of the Year and Team of the Year categories, the Voting Academy selects one winner to receive New Zealand's supreme accolade for sporting excellence, the Halberg Award.
The expectations and responsibilities of Voting Academy members are to:
- Not disclose how themselves, or any other member, voted.
- Have no collusion between Voting Academy members (consultation is of course fine)
- Disclose any conflicts of interest (eg family members nominated etc).
- Accept the collective responsibility of Academy decisions.
- Respect the integrity of the Academy, Halberg Awards and Halberg Disability Sport Foundation, and to take no action that will impact negatively on their reputations.